24.4.20

Human Culture: The Evolution of a Species, 3

To successfully address the proposed theme, with its capitals and sophisticated-sounding words, one should pretend to endorse its assumptions and push forward its consequences. But that would be too heavy a bundle right now and my legs are limp. I must sit down.


From my rush seat, I can see: there’s no such thing as The Human Culture, a single right way to be human. In fact, even though my glance is neither comprehensive as a bird’s view nor inquisitive as a scholar’s sight, I sense the multitudinous humanity and cannot cease to celebrate its innumerable faces and aspects. From the cheap seats, we acquire the exact perspective not to miss the minute detail, the stained rags and souls, the sour smells and sweet remembrances that will eventually compose the physiognomy1 of a person, but also that of a culture or society. We must recognize: all that is precious in humanity comes from its diversity, its differences, and its contradictions.

Getting ready to leave, I stand up. As I try to find my balance, Evolution presents itself as sheer directionality, an eager bend towards progress. This noisy rush is poised to drag you along to its purposeful end, which is also the end of all history. But I’m still weary and will run no more. Instead, I stand my ground. When the worst of the storm passes, an awful lot of alternative paths and ways make themselves available. Once more, we see that richness comes from diversity, differences, contradictions.
And as for Species, I guess I’ll just trade it for a close synonym and choose (to be, to value, to cherish) Kind. I’m not sure Darwin would approve of that, but the monkeys would certainly applaud. Enthusiastically.


1. One of those words that we use a lot in Portuguese and sounds absolutely bonkers in English. Gotta love it!
.
Vincent Van Gogh, Chair, 1888
Currently at The National Gallery, London
.

Nenhum comentário: